Spring is the season of flowers, colors, butterflies and chirping birds. But it’s not just about these things; Spring is about waking up your lawn after the winter and preparing it for summer.
As the spring approaches we’re sure you are excited to see your lawn blooming with colors and fragrances.
So how do you make sure that you get the best out of your garden in the Springtime? Here are some tips for you that can bring your lawn back to life. You can perform all these tasks on your own or you can hand them over to landscaping companies. They have variety of landscape maintenance services to give your lawn a new look.
- Start with first things first – mowing. This will help you get rid of extra inches of grass and do away with weeds. If you have a big infestation of broadleaf weeds, spray them out first then two weeks later start your spring maintenance.
- After mowing, check if the lawn soil is hard and compact. If yes, use a pitch fork for a small lawn or an aerator for a big one. Landscaping companies also offer services that ease the compaction.
- Once aeration is done, fertilize your lawn. Make sure to use a good slow-release fertilizer.
- Water thoroughly in the 1st 3 to 4 weeks of Spring, particularly if you’ve mowed your lawn.
- Watering every four days will help the fertilizer work better.
- If the water is running off the ground and isn’t penetrating, try using a wetting agent that will help the water to penetrate. After the lawn is healthy again you can reduce the watering.
- Buy a PH tester from a land care company. It will let you know if it is too acidic (less than 5.5), or too alkaline (above 7.0). A lawn should be ideally between 6.2 to 6.5 PH.
- Start with top dressing after PH testing is complete. Spread a top dressing mix, with sand or sandy loam content on top of the lawn. Use the back of a rake or a spade to get it even. It’s an effective way to fix potholes and depressions in your lawn.
Your lawn is now almost ready to bloom. You may need a follow up fertilizing session in early summer with a summer blend but for now your lawn is all set for seeding.
Tender Care Lawn Service is a family owned landscaping company established in 2004 in Sulphur, LA. Our land care services include lawn care, mosquito spraying, miniexcavator work, fertilization and weed control, sprinkler system programming and repair, shrub and hedge trimming, and landscape maintenance.