Cutting grass is an art. Proper mowing increases the density of the lawn, which in turn decreases weeds. Usually it’s the best practice to rely on landscaping companies for grass cutting services but you can also give it a try for fun and a good workout.
Here are 8 useful tips for mowing your lawn and keeping your turf healthy:
- Dry grass – Mow your grass on a day when the weather and grass are dry. It makes the cutting easy and quick.
- Well maintained mower – Make sure the blades of your mower are sharp and balanced. This will allow you to avoid uneven results, including random patches of high grass.
- Weeding – Start with pulling out the weeds first. It keeps your grass healthy.
- Mow first – Most lawn care companies recommend that it’s a good practice to mow first, then trim the grass. Although you can do it the other way around, this way you reduce time spent on trimming. Make sure to pick up any sticks and rocks that may have fallen in your yard. This avoids damaging the blades of the mower as well as a possible aerial attack on cars, houses or innocent bystanders.
- Mulching is good – Leave the trimmed and dry grass in the lawn. This helps the nutrients and nitrogen to get absorbed in the ground. Use a mulching mower for this.
- Avoid scalping – Never cut the grass too short. Landscaping companies advise to cut cool-season grasses to 2½ to 3½ inches and warm-season grass to 1 to 3 inches. But avoid removing more than 1/3 of the grass blade length at any one time.
- Change mowing pattern regularly – As the grass grows, it tends to lean in the direction you mow. Alternate the pattern every time, so it grows straighter and healthier.
- Mowing new grass – Newly-seeded grass needs 3 to 4 weeks to get established before you mow it for the first time. The grass blades are tender and can be easily damaged, especially if the soil is moist. Mow when the new grass is 3/4 inch to 1 inch taller than its recommended regular mowing height.
- Regular fertilizing – It’s a good practice to fertilize the grass after mowing. Every turf grass has its own fertilizing time which varies from 3 to 5 weeks. You can coincide the mowing and fertilizing day accordingly.
Hope these tips will help you keep your lawn green and clean. It’s always good to be involved with your garden and take care of your plants. They bloom when you interact and care for them. Mowing your land is a good way to inspect your lawn and keep it beautiful.
Tender Care Lawn Service is a family owned landscaping company established in 2004 in Sulphur, LA. Our land care services include lawn care, mosquito spraying, miniexcavator work, fertilization and weed control, sprinkler system programming and repair, shrub and hedge trimming, and landscape maintenance.